Monday, July 22, 2019

The Parable of The Generator

We all experience storms in our lives. It's part of growing up. Some people manage to get through them. Others simply succumb to them. But the REAL survivors are the ones who learn from them.

We had a bad storm go through our area Saturday morning. It spawned several tornadoes and wrought a lot of damage in the lives of a lot of people around here. Today, many are still in recovery mode. Fallen trees are being removed, houses are being repaired, new powerlines are replacing old.

In the aftermath of such storms there are powerful lessons to be learned. However most chose to ignore the opportunity. They simply want life to get back to the way it was. They want to be comfortable again with electricity and running water and a dry place to sleep. But there is so much more to life than comfortableness.

Saturday, after the storm passed, I walked to four of the houses in my neighborhood and offered to share my generator with them. They all refused the help. One simply abandoned their house and threw out all their food, another thought they could last until the power was restored and a third said the same. It has now been 48 hours since the storm went through.

"How you have helped the powerless! How you have saved the arm that is feeble!" - Job 26:2

Sunday afternoon I listened to a young friend of mine tell me about a storm in her life. It too had caused a lot of damage. She has endured many such storms in her life and was in need of some "power" in her life. The power of Jesus.

Sometimes we get drained of life's energy. We get weak and wonder how we can ever get through the next storm. Jesus gave Paul the answer.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” - 2 Corinthians 12:9

When we turn to God and surrender our hearts to Him, THAT is when we become strong. That is when we receive power to withstand the strongest storm. Most people try to muddle through on their own. They seldom reach out. They are the fools. They are passing up The Generator of Life.

Reach out. Cry out. All the energy you will ever need is available for the asking. But first you must humble yourself, acknowledge your weakness (sin) and ask for help. Don't be afraid. Time and time again in the Bible God tells us ,"Do not be afraid." We never listen.

"1 I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." - Psalm 121:1-2

I dare you to take that first step. Accept the fact that you can't make it through another storm without Jesus by your side. You are the one who has to make the choice. I dare you. I dare you to move.

I Dare You To Move - Switchfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment