Monday, May 25, 2020

A Memorial Offering

It's been an interesting couple of months - worshipping from home. Interesting. Not necessarily enjoyable. But this week we received news that churches and worship were "essential" - a "memorial" before God.

Yesterday was the first day back in our church for Sunday worship. I wasn't sure what to expect. As I approached to front door, it was standing open. That was good. No touching. And when I walked inside no one was in the entryway, all per instruction from our pastor.

Then I saw some friends, elders of the church. Each one greeted me warmly by name. I did the same with them. No hugs, although the desire was there. Then I walked into the sanctuary. My brothers and sisters!!

It was so good to see everyone again - gathered together to worship our God. I sat down in my socially-distant chair and we began to worship. That's when it hit me. This is what it's going to be like when I die and go to heaven.

I figure I'll arrive in some state of floatiness. No one will be there at first but then a couple of familiar faces will greet me. Friends or family perhaps. People I haven't seen in a while in either case. They will greet me by name. And there will be hugs. Lots of hugs.

And then we'll go into the throne room. And we will worship! We will sing songs we all somehow know. No big screens to follow. The words and tune will be in our hearts.

And, as I look around the room on this future day of worship, I start to cry tears of joy. The children!! Look at all of the children! And the soldiers, both men and women, who sacrificed everything so I could worship back on earth! They're all here!

After I get done looking around at everybody worshipping I will look up towards the throne and . . . there He will be!!! Jesus!!!!

I don't mind telling you I just got chills typing that. I got chills today too at church when we sang our worship songs. This one song in particular caught my attention. The chorus of this song! What a special meaning it will have on that glorious day.

Here I Am To Worship - Sonic Flood

The lives we live today, each one is a memorial to God. Do we live in such a way as to get God's attention?

Cornelius was a soldier. He got God's attention by the way he lived his life and he was blessed for it.

"At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

4Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.


The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God." - Acts 10:4

Let us be like Cornelius - living is such a way as to be a memorial offering to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment