Monday, May 4, 2020

The Blessed Hope

This is the view I have as I write most of my stories - seated at our dining room table. Today I see a sign of hope. Can YOU see it?

There are many signs of spring we can observe. Robins returning to nest, sandhill cranes, red-winged blackbirds, daffodils coming up. But one sign for me is the appearance of our hummingbird feeder.

Too many times I have waited too long to put it up. Then I hear that buzzing of hummingbird wings and I know I have failed my little feathered friends.

One summer I failed so miserably that the hummingbird come to the sport where his feeder normally hung, hovered there for a bit, gave me a disgusting look, and flew off.

This year I am ready. I am hopeful. I don't want to disappoint. And I won't because the feeder is hung in anticipation of an arrival long waited for.

Oh, my precious Lord, Jesus. How we long for Your return as well. The signs are all around us that the time is near. We need to be ready because it will happen in an instant - the twinkling of an eye. And then, for those who are NOT ready, it will be too late.

When I was a child, staying with my grandpa and grandma, I remembering watching out the window towards the two-mile corner for my mom and dad's car. It was night time so I would watch the headlights of the oncoming cars, hoping they would turn into the driveway. Many didn't but I KNEW that soon one set of lights would slow and turn and I would be off running to greet them.

I wait every day. I pray every day. My thoughts and hopes turn skyward. And I am longing for His glorious light to appear. Our blessed hope.

"For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." - Titus 2:11-14

Waiting . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment