Saturday, May 2, 2020

Workin' For A Livin'

Do you have a job? Have you been designated as "essential" by our government? During the week of April 19-25, nearly 30 million Americans filed for unemployment. So what do we do if we find ourselves without a job? How do we put food on the table?

It's interesting the types of jobs deemed "essential" in our country. Garbage collectors are "essential" while religious services are not. You can't cut peoples hair but you can perform an abortion. What do we do if we've lost our job and nobody's hiring?

The Bible is pretty clear about how things "worked" 2,000 years ago. You don't work, you don't eat.

"For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. 13 And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good."
- 2 Thessalonians 3:10-13

These days we have unemployment compensation, social security, disability income. But what would we, or could we, do to earn some cash if all we had was our abilities or our physical strength?

Interesting question. I look at myself and wonder what it is that I, on my own, could do to buy food and to pay my taxes? Answers are few and as hard to come by as a job.

I write stories but no one would pay money to read them. I could mow somebody's lawn I guess but I live five miles out of town. I could hunt and fish to put food in my belly but how do I get actual cash?

Think about it. How would we actually survive? The Bible tells us what to do. Or what NOT to do.

"So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:31-34

We read that and say, "Yeah, that's nice but I need to eat. My baby needs diapers." No! Read those verses again. The first sentence is a command by Jesus telling us "do not worry!" He actually says it twice.

Yeah, but.

NO! God will provide!! What we are lacking is patience, not a job. We lack faith, not food. That's a hard thing to stomach right now but it's true. Yes, look for a job. And look with open eyes. Well, there is a farmer down then road. He's hiring. Maybe he needs someone to drive the tractor. Look around!

A friend of mine lost her job. What is she doing? Making masks for people. Another friend of mine was looking for some puzzles. She also was out of work - a waitress. I took her some puzzles. She gave me some strawberry jam. God will provide. "O, ye of little faith."

PRAY!!

Workin' For A Livin' - Huey Lewis and Garth Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment