Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Need Encouragement?

We all need encouragement from time to time. It's what keeps us going. When we begin to doubt ourselves and what we're doing, encouragement is the glue that holds our dreams together. God is the master encourager. It seems He always encourages us just when we need it the most.

I was supposed to be teaching disc golf classes this summer. In a few weeks actually. It was to be part of the summer school program in our area. But then everything got put on hold with the Covid-19 disruption.

When stuff like that happens I often will stop and ask God if I am on the right path. I really want to be doing the things that He wants me to do. But then I doubt. Should I go on? Or should I put all of my plans on hold.

I was thinking all those things recently. I was told by those in charge that "we'd talk again in the fall" but you know how that goes. "What was your name again?" So I was kind of sad. I thought I had everything figured out. And then it stopped.

Well, yesterday I was doing some volunteer work at the disc golf course - emptying trash, raking leaves - when I came upon a mom and her daughter. "That's cool," I thought.

The mom said she was teaching her daughter how to throw. Funny. That's what I wanted to do.

"I was going to teach kids how to play disc golf too," I said. "But the classes got postponed due to the virus."

We talked a little more about the postponed classes, about kids in general, the virus, etc. And then the mom said something that got my attention.

"I run the rec classes for the middle school in Wautoma. You should come teach a class!"

Do you see God working yet?

Names and numbers were exchanged, hopes were raised and I was encouraged. As I thought about the "chance" meeting later, I smiled. What are the chances of two people meeting like that with such unique yet similar interests? One who teaches disc golf and one who was looking for someone to teach a class.

But that's how God works. When we least expect it, God will send some encouragement our way IF you are doing something that HE wants you to do. Have YOU ever been encouraged like that?

We Christians talk a lot about God opening and closing doors. My encounter yesterday was more like God kicking me in the pants and encouraging me to keep going. How has God encouraged YOU lately? Have you thanked Him for it? Or just chalked it up to being an amazing coincidence?

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:31

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust God First - Dallas Theological Seminary

No comments:

Post a Comment