Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Birthday Lesson

This old man recently celebrated his 68th birthday. The best gift I received was not from family or friends. It was from God, in the form of a lesson.

The world we live in is full of distractions. Things that entice us away from God. Temptations. Gee, I wonder where THOSE things come from? Could it be . . . Satan? Yes!

We love to celebrate ourselves in this world. Every time I turn on the television it seems like there is one kind of award show or another. There are talent shows that demonstrate to OURSELVES how great WE are and all the talent that WE have. What about God?

I have over 600 friends on Facebook. Not bragging. Just a number. How many of them do you think would take the time to wish me a happy birthday? It used to be dozens upon dozens. Now it's ONE dozen, if that. Everyone gets distracted and busy with their own lives.

But look at the lesson this gives us! How distracted do we become in our relationship with God? Did the Jews always remember to keep all of the festivals? Nope. They were forever turning their back on God. What was God's reaction?

Yes, God punished them. He was trying to teach them something, like a father teaches his son. But what was the end result of Israel's disobedience? Repentance and forgiveness and then the welcoming arms of God as His children returned to Him. And then the blessings came.

The thing I learned this year, as I turned another year older, was just how precious love is. And our ability to love others. Love is a choice. Who can we love today?

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21

"Let each esteem others better than himself." - Philippians 2:3

"Forget those things which are behind and reach forward to those things which are ahead." - Philippians 3:4

"I have learned that, whatever state I am in, to be content." - Philippians 4:11

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment