Monday, March 15, 2021

Dessert

When my wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary we were given some advice. "Eat the dessert first, in case the ship sinks." Funny. But good advice.

When people ask me about reading the Bible I always suggest they read the Book of John first. Same advice.

I usually refer to The New Testament as "dessert" whenever I am reading through the Bible. The Old Testament is good and all, but the New Testament is Jesus! The dessert buffet!

I love reading the words of Jesus - our King and Savior. It seems like Jesus was always teaching just one step beyond what the Pharisees and The Law of the Old Testament had in mind. Here's an example that I just read the other day.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:43 - 45

One step beyond people's thinking at the time.

Are we thinking and living that "one-step-beyond" life? Are we living our lives and telling others about the dessert buffet of Jesus? I need to do a better job of that. I spend more time eating the desserts of His Word than telling other people where the buffet line starts.

We need to first embrace His Word, then devour it. But we also need to tell others about it. How did WE come to know Christ? Didn't someone tell US? The dessert of The Gospel is what everyone needs to hear. But they do need to HEAR it.

No comments:

Post a Comment