Monday, March 8, 2021

C.I.N.O.

During the second impeachment trial of President Trump I heard a new word - RINO. Not the animal. That's spelled r-H-i-n-o. This "RINO" stands for Republican In Name Only. So, what do you think the title of my story means? Ask Judah, the writer of the Book of Jude.

"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." - Jude 1:3-4

Jude is talking about people IN The Church - Christians In Name Only. They call themselves Christians but are really something else - wolves in sheep's clothing.

The first CINO was Judas. He was a follower of Christ. An apostle! Yet Judas betrayed Jesus. He was never really a believer. Someone who was only interested in the money box (John 13:29).

It's not always easy to spot CINO's in church. They say all the right words, for example, but we are called to watch their actions. As Jesus told us in Matthew "judge their fruit" (Matthew 7:16)

For example, Joe Biden professes a strong Catholic faith yet he opposes many of the church's beliefs on abortion and same sex marriage. Is he a CINO? He has been refused communion by his priests because of his beliefs. THEY are judging Joe by his actions, not by his words. Good for them.

Are people who say they are Christians yet don't actually act like one,  are they tarnishing the name of Christ? The answer has to be 'yes' based on these words from Jesus Himself.

"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." - Matthew 12:30

If someone is against Christ he or she is anti-Christ. Hmm.

If we call ourselves Christians, shouldn't we act like one? Jesus called religious leaders of His day liars for not following God's will.

"Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word." - John 8:55

There is your indicator. A Christian always obeys God's Word. Yes, we still screw up and do things against God's will but hopefully we repent of those things and seek God's forgiveness. Otherwise we are living a lie. Trust me, that's NOT good.

Always seek the truth. The truth sets us free. If we LIVE in that truth we will find that we are standing with Jesus.

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

That's a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment