Saturday, March 13, 2021

Feelings

The problem with society today can be summed up in just one little word -" feelings." I was raised in an age when we got F's in school for bad work and when only the best team got a trophy. There were no "participation trophies" like we have today. And that, my friends, is where our societal problems all began. Our poor little feelings got hurt.

Our country is based on basic precepts found in the Bible. Thou shall not kill. Thou shall not steal. We seem to be getting away from all that these days.

Today, when people "feel" like doing something, they think they should be allowed to do it. Why? Because they FEEL like it. And we let them.

For example, stealing is against God's law. It's against our country's law too, but people are allowed to steal if someone "feels" like they have been wronged. I give you Portland, Minneapolis, and Seattle as examples during the George Floyd riots of last year . . . and again THIS year. People "feel" like they should be allowed to do this. And we let them. Why? Good question. I believe I have found the source.

Back in the mid-70's there was a nauseating song by one-hit wonder, Morris Albert called Feelings. Even today I can still only listen to one verse, max. I have included a link here, if you dare to listen, followed by a link to an antidote song. You're welcome.

Our feelings have gotten in the way of actual truth. And now we are knee-deep in . . . participation trophies.

Sadly, our faith has caught the same sick bug as our society. We have not only brought our feelings into our laws but into our churches as well. We are so concerned about "feeling God's presence" these days. Is that right? Have made Jesus into someone who conforms to OUR image? One that WE have created?

Voddie Baucham once preached a message referring to this modern day Jesus we have created. There's a link to a 5-minute clip below. Voddie referred to our society's Jesus as a "Sissified, Needy Jesus." His description of what that is is followed closely by the actual truth from God's word. Please listen to it, read it and heed it!

Voddie is right. We are all going to stand before Jesus one day. The REAL Jesus. And each one of us will be judged. That judgement will have nothing to do with how Jesus is "feeling" at the moment. It will be a righteous judgement based on the truth of God's Word.

You see, God doesn't need us. We need Him. Jesus IS the truth. David was a murderer and an adulterer. He did what he felt like doing. Until he was found out and repented in guilt and shame. We, and our country, need to do the same.

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge. 5Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place." - Psalm 51:1-6

Feelings - Morris Albert

Bad To The Bone - George Thorogood

Sissified Needy Jesus - Voddie Baucham

No comments:

Post a Comment